Drexel University, Philadelphia
June 11, 2013
Call for Participation
Urban informatics work happens at the nexus of complex processes including:
Policy | Technology and Design | People | Data
We invite submissions that examine these processes with special attention to aspects of
- Access and New Literacies
- Data in the City
- Community and Communication
We will accept two kinds of submissions to the Symposium on Urban Informatics:
- Dec 15, 2012 - Essay Proposals
The symposium will be accompanied by a special issue submission to the Journal of Urban Technologies. Authors should email a brief bio and a description of their proposed essay topic and title to the symposium chair, Kris Unsworth (unsworth(at)drexel.edu) with the subject: Urban Informatics Essay Submission by December 15th. Proposals should not exceed 400 words.
Invitations to submit essays will be made by January 15th. Full essays of approximately 5000 words will be due April 15th, 2013. Invited essay authors will be given an individual panel presentation of 20 minutes to present their work at the symposium.
- March 1st, 2013 - Panelist ProposalsPanelist presenters may submit as an individual presentation (20 minutes) or an entire panel (80 minutes).
Individual presenters should email a brief bio and a description of their proposed presentation topic and title to the symposium chair, Kris Unsworth (unsworth(at)drexel.edu) with the subject: Urban Informatics Panel Submission by March 1st, 2013.
Full panel proposals (3-4 presenters plus a panel chair) can also be made by submitting the names and bios of the participants, a brief overview of the panel (not to exceed 200 words) and up to 300 words about each of the presenters' topics.
For both of the above submission types, we invite proposals that investigate, explain, or reflect on social and cultural aspects of urban technologies as well as proposals that report on the design or deployment of new technologies.
- December 15, 2012 - Essay Proposal Submission Deadline
- January 15th, 2012 - Notification of Invited Essay Authors
- March 1, 2013 - Presentation Proposal Submission Deadline
- April 15th, 2013 - JUT Essay Submission
- June 11th, 2013 - Symposium